Days since Band and I became One

My Scale

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

As a matter of fact, I AM with the Band!

I made it!! I made it!! I'm officially banded!!

I'm also sore as a mo-fo! OMG. Feels like I've been ran over by a tank.

Ok- so here is a synopsis of surgery day.

My surgery was scheduled for 7:30am, but I had to be there at 5:30am. So we woke up at 4am and was out the door by about 5am. It hasn't rained for weeks, but the gods decided to bless us with a torrential downpour that morning! Needless to say, it was a white-knuckle ride the whole way. I passed two accidents, and saw my life pass before my eyes numerous times.

Once at the hospital, we had to wait about 30min before we were taken back to start the IV in my arm and the lovely heparin shot in my belly. They also gave me something in the IV that basically made my tummy go to sleep. It was the oddest feeling. Like a lead weight residing in my gut. Weird.

After waiting for the anesthesiologist to come in, my frend J, texted me, from the lobby!! She was having her surgery a few hours after me, so I told her to come on in and say hi! She did and it was so great to finally meet her! We've been supporting each other via email for the last few weeks and it was great to finally put a face (a beautiful one too) to the words!!! Shortly after that, DK came in and asked if I was ready. I said I was, but nervous about the changes afterward. He was very reassuring that the changes will be very welcomed and that I would be fine. :)

Finally, Dr. Feelgood came in and it was time to wheel me to OR. I said goodbye to DH and once in the OR, had to slide on the table and then I got the crazy coctail! I remember stretching my IV arm out on some support table and the next thing I know I was coughing in the recovery room. Just like that!! The first thing I remember asking my nurse was if I got the band. I was soooo scared that since I cheated on the pre-op diet that he would get in there and decide my liver was too fatty to do the surgery. Nope, not the case! I not only had the band, but he also repaired a hiatal hernia and did a liver biopsy. Not sure what the latter was for, but I'm sure to find out.

It seemed unreal to be on the other side. While I was in recovery, I had to drink 5 little medicine cups of water every 10 min and after the third one, I felt like I just inhaled a Thanksgiving feast. Can you say BUST A GUT?!?! WOW. who knew that I would busting a gut from just water! I know it's only temporary, but I can get used to that!

So, once I drank my water and used the facilities, I was sent on my merry way. Oh, I was also given some meds that made the ride home much more enjoyable. While home, I did some walking, took my gas-x, drank some more water and took my protein shot drink. And slept. And slept some more. I felt pretty good until this morning.

I feel pretty bad today. It's not unbearable, but I've been coughing some more and it KILLS when I do. I feel like my incisions are going to break open with every cough. OUCH. I also got a little hungry tonight so I heated up some Cream of Chicken soup. I only got down a 1/4 of a cup and it kind of hurt. I think I may have eaten it too fast. Plus I drank some water with it. It wasn't until I was stuffed that I realized I broke LB Cardinal rule #1. NO DRINKING WHILE I'M EATING. Ya, lesson learned. Won't do that again. I'm supposed to be drinking 48oz of water a day and it's difficult to do, especially when you feel full so quickly. I've been using my daughter's sippy cup with the valve removed so it's helping to stop the urge to chug it.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with the outcome. The gas pains have been very minimal. The walking really helps as does the gas-ex strips. I've been staying on top of the pain meds as well. I'm not trying to be a hero here, so I welcome the drugs! :)

I stood on the scale this morning and I was up 4lbs. BLEH. I'm not even going to count that, or stand on it again anytime soon. My focus is on healing right now, and not losing weight. Baby steps. Baby steps.

Oh, and I'm going to see Eclipse tomorrow with my wonderful DH!! Can't wait!! :)

Good luck to Karen, who's surgery is tomorrow!! You'll do great and I look forward to hearing how it goes!

9 comments:

  1. Glad all went well. 4 pounds is nothing! I was up 10 pounds! I give you credit for going to the movies tomorrow. I did not move from the house mfor a week! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your band! It sounds as if everything went very well and you are going to bounce back quickly.

    For discomfort in your incisions while coughing, try holding a pillow to your abdomen while you cough. It helps to give support and makes coughing less painful. (A little trick I learned after I had my hysterectomy. It really helped.)

    Four pounds up is nothing about which to be concerned. You were loaded with a lot of IV fluids. Once your bod expels it and you start losing fat, you will see a big drop. :D But don't worry about it, right now. Just concentrate on recovering and getting used to your new friend.

    What are you going to name her?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! I am glad to hear that it went well. I wouldn't worry about the gain. It is probally fluids. I had that. I never thought of the sippy cup thing. That would really help with the gulping. I will have to remember that when I have my fill, because now I could gulp ANYTHING!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your journey! I hope to be joining you in bandland sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I just copy and paste your surgery day to my blog LOL? Yay T! I'm glad it went well and you are banded. Hope you feel better today. I'm a nurse so I can tell you that the 2nd day post op is usually the worst pain day just take your pain meds on a schedule today every three or four hours (not if you need them take them on time today ) and keep moving - tomorrow will be better and you can then go back to taking your pain meds as you need them. I'm so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. p.s I'm jealous you are going to Eclipse today - I'm taking the kids but porbably not until Monday - so no spoilers

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so happy you made it through. I was missing our mid day work emails. :( I hope that you start feeling better and you are able to make it back to work. I bet that is a sight to see you drinking out of P2's sippy cup - I need a picture of that one.

    Changes are on the horizon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your surgery story sounds SO similar to mine with the exception of the hernia repair. I also had the liver biopsy but I ended up staying overnight because my surgery was done so late in the day and I was pretty sick from the anesthesia.

    ReplyDelete
  9. SO glad to read that It all went well...need to catch up on the rest of your progress. :)
    I'll be in touch. hugs!

    ReplyDelete